Acting Tutor (Freelance) Department: Acting
Responsible to: Head of Acting Wage: Dependant on experience
Annualised contract working predominantly term time only Start date: September 2022
Emil Dale Academy is a pioneering musical theatre college. Our courses are at the forefront of performing arts training in the UK, offering high contact hours, industry professional teachers and highly intensive, triple-threat musical theatre training to people from all over the world.
We believe people should have the right to train regardless of their financial background. We prepare students for progression into the industry.
Students are encouraged to grow into intelligent performers with an aim to make a sustainable living in the performing arts. Making choices about their own progression and personal development will prepare them for the future, as well as for forging a career in the industry.
Emil Dale Academy is dedicated to providing world class intensive, triple-threat training to the next generation of leading performers.
Our vision is for accessible, superior quality training, delivered by industry professionals, led by innovation and excellence at the core of everything we do.
Superior quality: Working towards industry standard required training across all disciplines of singing, dance and acting.
Innovation: Encouraging students to create challenging work in collaboration with musical directors, directors, choreographers and leading practitioners.
Excellence: Nurturing students to grow into intelligent industry-ready performers who can make a sustainable living in the performing arts.
The primary role of EDA’s Acting Tutors is to provide first-class Acting tuition to the students, appropriate to their age and background.
Acting Tutors are required to exercise discretion, empathy and professionalism in all dealings with students and subsequently staff.
Experience/ Training Required
• BA or MA Degree in Acting or Directing from a specialist college.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a professional context.
• Knowledge or experience of the Musical Theatre industry and demands of vocational
Personal Qualities and Attributes
• Positive, proactive and professional attitude.
• Strong commitment and passion for working with young people
• Willingness to adopt a flexible and adaptable approach to day-to-day workload.
• Understanding of the demands and challenges faced during organisational change. • Commitment to own professional development.
• Awareness and understanding of appropriate teaching legislation.
• Educated to BA or MA level in Acting or Directing from a specialist college.
• Resilient and determined.
• Basic knowledge of duty of care, confidentiality and data protection is essential.
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
• Experience of working under own initiative and as part of a team to identify and
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent organisational capabilities.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal appropriately with a wide variety of
people in a confident and friendly manner.
• Excellent time management.
• Tactful, diplomatic and assertive in dealing with challenging situations.
• Empathetic and, most importantly, approachable.
• An understanding of or experience in vocational training at FE and HE level.
• A passion for working with young people.
• Experience of teaching on a BA Acting and/or Musical Theatre course.
• Experience of teaching:
o Audio Acting
o Acting for Screen
o Stanislavsky, Meisner, Brecht, and Katie Mitchell techniques
• Safeguarding and Child Welfare trained.
• First aid trained.
Please outline in your application form the days you would ideally be able to teach, and we will discuss this further with you.
Terms and Conditions
The post-holder will be expected to offer reasonable flexibility in their working arrangements where it is considered necessary to undertake the duties they have been employed to perform. No overtime is payable unless approved in advance with the Line Manager.
On appointment, the successful candidate(s) must be able to provide the correct documents as proof of their right to work in the UK.
Emil Dale Academy is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunities employer.
Any offer of employment would be subject to a satisfactory DBS check and 2 references.
Email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com