Part-time/ Full-time Head of Welfare
Job Title: Part-time/ Full-time Head of Welfare Department: Welfare and Student Experience Responsible to: The Principal
Salary: Dependant on experience and hours agreed
Annualised contract working predominantly term time only Start date: As soon as available
Emil Dale Academy is a pioneering musical theatre college. Our courses are at the forefront of performing arts training in the UK, offering high contact hours, industry professional teachers and highly intensive, triple-threat musical theatre training to people from all over the world.
We believe people should have the right to train regardless of their financial background. We prepare students for progression into the industry.
Students are encouraged to grow into intelligent performers with an aim to make a sustainable living in the performing arts. Making choices about their own progression and personal development will prepare them for the future, as well as for forging a career in the industry.
Emil Dale Academy is dedicated to providing world class intensive, triple-threat training to the next generation ofleading performers.
Our vision is for accessible, superior quality training, delivered by industry professionals, led by innovation and excellence at the core of everything we do.
Superior quality: Working towards industry standard required training across all disciplines of singing, dance and acting.
Innovation: Encouraging students to create challenging work in collaboration with musical directors, directors, choreographers and leading practitioners.
Excellence: Nurturing students to grow into intelligent industry-ready performers who can make a sustainable living in the performing arts.
Aim of Post:
To provide a first-class Welfare and Pastoral Care Service to students, appropriate to their age and background, to ensure their physical and emotional well-being whilst at EDA.
The primary role of the Head of Welfare is to provide first class Welfare and Pastoral Care service to students, appropriate to their age and background, to ensure their physical and emotional well-being whilst at EDA.
The Head of Welfare is required to provide advice and guidance for students, and to signpost students to seek professional help for any needs they may have, where applicable.
The Head of Welfare is required to exercise discretion, empathy and professionalism in all dealings with students and subsequently staff.
Maintain all welfare-related documentation and provide a weekly activity/feedback summary for Deputy Principal and Principal.
Working with external partners, maintaining positive relationships and an ability to communicate effectively with members of staff, students and parents is crucial.
Maintaining comprehensive and accurate records ensuring GDPR compliance throughout.
Experience/ Training Required
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with young adults in a professional context.
• Safeguarding and Child Welfare training.
• First aid trained.
• Knowledge or experience of the Musical Theatre industry and demands of vocational
Personal Qualities and Attributes
• Positive, proactive and professional attitude.
• Strong commitment and passion for working with young people
• Willingness to adopt a flexible and adaptable approach to day-to-day workload.
• Understanding of the demands and challenges faced during organisational change. • Commitment to own professional development.
Candidate Specification Essential
• Relevant Child Protection Training.
• Awareness and understanding of appropriate legislation.
• Minimum of two years’ experience in a welfare / safeguarding role in a professional
• Experience of managing challenging and highly confidential situations.
• Sound administration and information technology skills.
• Resilient and determined.
• Detailed knowledge of duty of care, confidentiality and data protection is essential
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
• Experience of working under own initiative and as part of a team to identify and
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent organisational capabilities.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal appropriately with a wide variety of
people in a confident and friendly manner.
• Excellent time management.
• Tactful, diplomatic and assertive in dealing with challenging situations.
• Empathetic and most importantly approachable.
• Educated to degree level or equivalent at least.
• Experience and/or training in Musical Theatre.
• An understanding of vocational training at FE and HE level.
• A passion for working with young people.
• A recognised counselling qualification, or equivalent experience.
Although the postholder would ideally work on a full-time basis, the college would welcome applications from candidates seeking to work more flexibly e.g. job-share or predominantly term time only. Please outline in your application form the flexibility you would like, and we will discuss this further with you at interview.
Terms and Conditions
This is an annualised contract, working predominantly term-time only. Hours worked within this time are part-time, with some (limited) evening and weekend work. The normal hours of work will be a minimum of 20 hours per week, working Monday to Friday within the hours of 8.00am to 6:30pm (specific hours to be agreed). The post-holder will be expected to offer reasonable flexibility in their working arrangements where it is considered necessary to undertake the duties they have been employed to perform. No overtime is payable, although time off in lieu for additional hours will be given if approved in advance with the Line Manager.
On appointment the successful candidate must be able to provide the correct documents as proof of their right to work in the UK.
Emil Dale Academy is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunities employer. Any offer of employment would be subject to a satisfactory DBS check and 2 references.
Email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org